For when you’re uninspired

I haven’t written this week.  I was waiting to be inspired.  I kept thinking something would come along, some thought or connection, and I would immediately come up with the right words.  Nothing came along.  So I remained uninspired.  Until that inspired me.

Every day, we ask students to be creative, collaborative, and communicative, whether they feel like it or not.  What if they aren’t inspired?  What if they’re tired?  What if they have nothing to say?  What if the assignment is boring and it leaves them unmotivated to complete it?

We expect them to do it anyway.  We expect them to perform, regardless of motivation or inspiration, whether they feel like it or not.

There are days when I don’t feel like I have it all together.  There are days when my ducks are not even in the same pond, let alone a row, and I’m expected to still be interesting and engaging.  There are days when there are things going on outside of school and my mind is on those things instead.  What then?  What do you do when you’re uninspired?

You do it anyway.  You model perseverance.  Resilience.  Faith and hope. You admit that today is difficult.  You don’t fight the feelings you have–those can’t be helped.  Instead, you spend your energy moving forward and overcoming, rather than fighting the feelings.  Acknowledge the feelings; give yourself some grace.  And move on.

When you’re uninspired, it doesn’t have to stop you.  Use it as your springboard.  You just might find some inspiration where you least expect it.

3 thoughts on “For when you’re uninspired”

1. Such a great point and real world example! We sure do need to model these things! Great uninspirational post! 🙂

2. Hey, Angela.

I’m a huge fan of this post. This is authenticity on full display. Rarely do I see anything on social media about the uninspiring moments in life, learning, and education. What matters most is how you acknowledge it, name it, embrace it, and deal with it in the best way possible–see it as another learning opportunity.

Thank you for this!
    Sincerely,
    Kyle